Sunday, January 27, 2008

Harlequin Shrinky Doll

I recently rediscovered my trove of Shrinky Dink plastic, and decided to go back and play with it some more. (BTW--isn't that the dopiest name you've ever had to say about an art material?)

I found this jointed doll pattern online aliciag.com, downloaded it onto white cardstock, and then used black plastic Sharpie to trace the lines onto the plastic.



















Here you can see the pieces I traced and colored. At this point, I have baked them and they all fit on a 4"x4" ceramic tile.














This stuff does shrink down pretty small--here is an uncooked arm, and the cooked companion, arranged next to a quarter for scale.
















I had to replace the head I made at first, as I managed to punch through the jaw line, so it would no longer attach to the rest of the body. I outlined one of the blank heads, complete with hair, and drew my own face onto the plastic. The holes are all 1/4" from the hole punch. The plan is to attach this head to the body and then make wire curly hair to attach around the head.



















And here is the finished doll. As I look at her, I think the wire hair doesn't really work--it's out of scale with the rest of her. I am planning to go back and make yet another head and leave off the holes for hair.

No comments: